Headaches and migraine are common and perhaps the most frustrating ailment. Headaches can range from a subtle dull throbbing to debilitating pain. And studies estimate that over 25 million people in the US experience migraines. At times a severe headache can be mistaken for a migraine, yet there are differences. Although trigger factors and symptoms vary between the two, research shows that spinal manipulation can be an effective treatment for both. Through headache and migraine chiropractic care, you can reduce your symptoms and frequency of those symptoms. Here are common causes of headaches and/or migraines.
- Sudden stress and/or anxiety
- Poor posture and/or sedentary work
- Dehydration and/or hunger
- Smells and/or noises
- Bright lights and/or sunlight
- Low or High blood sugar
At Maryland Chiropractic & Physical Medicine, we want the best healthcare for you. Read on to learn more about the benefits of headache and migraine chiropractic care. Contact us today to learn more.
What Can a Doctor of Chiropractic Do?
At Maryland Chiropractic, we have undergone extensive training to help our patients that go way beyond just alignment. We know how the spine, and tension within the spine, relates to problems all over your body. This is, even more, the case with headaches and migraines. We know the steps to take to relieve your pain. In a study done by Duke University, spinal manipulation, or spinal adjustments, results in almost immediate relief from headaches. The study also shows that chiropractic care can provide long-last relief and fewer side effects than headache medicine.
Similar to headaches, migraines can also benefit from spinal manipulation. Research has shown that migraines can be caused by a small misalignment int he spine. When your vertebrae become misaligned in this way, it can cause the muscles and nerves to become inflamed. An adjustment by our chiropractors can correct this alleviating pain, stiffness, soreness, and irritation. Regular visits have shown to decrease the likelihood of migraines and their severity.
What Can I Do To Help Headache Relief?
While there are many causes of headaches and migraines, here are some suggestions to help you prevent headaches. All of these are suggested by the American Chiropractic Association (ACA):
- If you sit or stand in one position for long periods of time, make sure to take a break and stretch every 30 minutes to an hour.
- Low-impact exercises can help relieve some pain associated with headaches but talk to your doctor about heavy exercise.
- Avoid clenching your teeth and that can lead to tension headaches. Your upper and lower teeth shouldn’t touch unless you are eating and swallowing.
- Drink water. Seriously, drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water can avoid dehydration, which is a leading cause of headaches.